Reimbursement of fees for language tests


A number of our international partners, principally those that teach in English, require our students to provide a commercial language test such as IELTS, TOEFL or Cambridge.


As a result, in these situations, we have no other option than to require our students to take a test of this kind when submitting their application. These types of tests are particularly expensive, at a cost of around CHF 300.00.


As part of its commitment to supporting the possibility of university exchanges for its students, the UNIL Rectorate has decided to cover the costs of commercial language tests required in relation to applying for an exchange.


Accordingly, from academic year 2019-2020 onwards, students applying to a partner university that requires evidence of a commercial language test can be reimbursed for the costs of the test concerned, by completing the form below, attaching the documents requested and returning it to the secretariat of the Social Affairs and Student Mobility Office (SASME). 


SASME can only reimburse costs incurred by the student; no test fees will be paid directly by SASME to the organisation offering the language test.


In particular, students must provide evidence of the partner university’s requirements (such as a copy of the exchange agreement if this mentions it, the signature of the faculty’s mobility adviser for faculty/SEMP agreements, a document or extract from the partner university’s website, etc.). 


Costs can only be reimbursed if the partner does not accept a language statement or ISEP test from the Language Centre instead of the test in question, or any other equivalent document (secondary school or undergraduate studies in English, bilingual school-leaving examination, etc.).


Costs are reimbursed regardless of whether the student’s application for an exchange is successful. However, students who decide not to take up the offer of an exchange will be required to return the sum paid by UNIL.


The form must be returned to SASME at the same time as the application for general agreements by 1 December (2 December at the latest this year) or after submitting their application to their faculty for faculty or SEMP agreements, by 20 February. Evidence of application for an exchange is required for faculty and SEMP agreements (if SASME is unable to verify the information).



Follow us: